Monday, June 8, 2015

#AccraFloods: Finance Ministry begins disbursement of GH¢ 50m for relief efforts



The Finance Ministry has said that it has began releasing money for the support of residents of Accra who were affected by last Wednesday’s floods.

President Mahama announced after a crisis meeting at the Flagstaff House that 50 million cedis would be allocated to help with relief efforts in the capital following the floods and the inferno which razed the GOIL fuel station.

“Our current priority now is to save lives and prevent any further suffering of our people. Beyond that we will take the tough measures that are necessary to prevent such disasters in future,” The President said last Thursday.


And according to Finance Minister, Seth Terkper, some of the money had already been released, including the allocation to the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).

“The part that goes to NADMO, that was released on Friday. Some amount of money was advanced for that pending the release. The part that concerns the resurfacing and others that Minister for Roads and Highways working with Works and Housing, the releases will made, Seth Terkper said on The Big Issue on Saturday.

“What we have done is to consult with the Governor to put the money aside in order that as and when the work is done the releases will be discharged,” he added.